Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jazz as played in an exclusive side street club...



'Twas a dreary, uneventful february afternoon when suddenly I was struck or indeed smitten by and with the divine sounds of piano... 
and suddenly D.H. Lawrence's lauded words came to mind:



Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings. 

In spite of myself, the insidious mastery of song
Betrays me back, till the heart of me weeps to belong
To the old Sunday evenings at home, with winter outside
And hymns in the cosy parlour, the tinkling piano our guide.
[...]
“Great joy, especially after a sudden change of circumstances, is apt to be silent, and dwells rather in the heart than on the tongue.” ~ Henry Fielding

This gay and jolly tune carried me to melancholy memories of times I know not of!
My mind's eye displayed images of smoky pubs, a handful of musicians slaving away at their instruments, engaging in the core of their tune, eager to please the crowded, dimly lit and mysterious room full of anticipated apprehensive ambiance. 
Beautiful, gracious women and smart-looking men dancing and chatting away joyfully and bursting into gales of roaring laughter over drinks... ; it seemed bliss!

Culprit?
Nina Simone - a fierce civil rights advocate and veritable pianist proficient
                                                                   RELISH HERE

A tiny flicker of joy to last a whole day I was eager to share with all of you!
Now it's off to bed for little, intrigued, enchanted me!

signed: Your ever-faithful servant,
Lola


1 comment:

  1. I really don't have a clue how you became this fluent in English,so I guess you're just an Englishwoman in disguise, who makes the e-world a better place for UK loving people =D

    ReplyDelete