Monday, March 21, 2011

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people!"



I shall attempt to speak candidly; I rather missed posting here for this little while.
Perhaps I am inflicted with the worst forms of vanity and pride for even thinking thusly but at least I have the decency to own to it, have not I?


Quite a week it was! For an entire week I was appointed the Personal Assistant to the general manager of Kipling Europe.
'Exhilirating' wouldn't even cover my new experiences and adventures!
It was rather fun to take my mind off of the dreadful times to come (coursework assessment period).
At the moment I consider myself fortunate to explore and rediscover English drama.


If I were a playwright yubba dubba dubba dubba dubba dubba dubba dum
If I were a biddy biddy shrewd idle deedle daidle dramatist... Tevye got it wrong after all.


One of my all-time favourites must be Tom Stoppard and his play 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead'.
This play -rather to be experienced than studied according to Stoppard- plays on the existentialist nature of Hamlet's two best friends contemplating their raison d'ĂȘtre while trying to weedle out of the young prince exactly why he's been acting in one such peculiar way.


The downplaying of the renowned character Hamlet in contrast to the emphasis on his seemingly undeserving friends in the spotlight renders the whole both intriguing and hilarious at the same time.
At times their wordplay becomes essential yet more often is the essence bemused by the ingenious maze of wordplay.
And yet amongst all the dubitous questions posed, some of them are spot-on;


"ROS: Do you ever think of yourself as actually dead, lying in a box with a lid on it?
GUIL: No.
ROS: Nor do I, really.... It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean one thinks  of it like  being alive in a box, one keeps forgetting  to take into account the fact that one  is dead... which should make a difference... shouldn't it?
I mean, you'd never  know you  were in a box, would you?
It would be just like being asleep  in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you.
Not without any air - you'd wake  up dead, for a start and then where would you be?
Apart from inside a box.
That's the bit I don't like, frankly. That's why I don't think of it....
Because you'd be helpless, wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box like that,
I mean you'd be in there for ever. Even taking into account the fact that you're dead, really ... ask yourself, if I asked you straight off - I'm going to stuff you in  this box now,
would you rather be alive or dead?
Naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect.
You'd have a chance at least. You could lie there thinking - well, at  least I'm not dead!
In a minute someone's going to bang on the lid and tell me to come out.
(Banging on the floor with his fists.) 
"Hey you, whatsyername! Come out of there!"


Spring has taken a hold of my heart in the mean time - no season quite so powerful to my taste; It has a humbling effect. One recoils nonplussed at the sight of all the wonderous phenomenae in the world that surrounds us. 
It promises new beginnings and fresh starts and that is exactly what each and every one of us covets.
Feel like a new adventure?
I rest my case.


SPRING! "Then let winged Fancy wander through the thought still spread beyond her." - Keats


Yours truly,
Lola

2 comments:

  1. My daily visits to your blog have finally rewarded me :D. Nice blog post! Glad to see you're still engaged in all things literary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, Hamlet ;-) I have to say that Hamlet might be one of my favourite plays written by Shakespeare - not because everyone dies (well, maybe a bit), but because there are lots of intrigues in it. The part I like the most is when they're shipping to England and Hamlet (he's such a genius.. maybe a bit crazy as well, but aren't they all?) changes the content of a letter, in which is written that he has to die. Instead, it turns out very badly for his friends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. The conversation above between these characters is indeed quite hilarious :-)
    I have to agree with Dimitri - I have been waiting for centuries (^^)to read a new blog, so I'm glad you've posted one. Still keeping my fingers crossed, Lola!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete