Monday, February 21, 2011

5 months and seven days to salvation...



Christian you say?
Hardly. Opportunism, I say. Like everyone else I deem Christianity useful, yet not in the least bit enlightening, spiritual or valuable for that matter. Perish the thought that I should ever scorn religion because it's had its many good uses in the past, undeniably.
Its 4 august uses today: burning candles, Christmas, wellwishing and it's perfect for Sundayafternoon mockery with a lovely cup of tea and shortbread.


Then what is this 'salvation' I was referring to?
I shall elaborate most willingly;
For 7 months now I have placed all my hopes on and all my efforts in a somewhat irrational yet inspired attempt at starting my future carreer in England. More specifically, I aspire to be accepted for an English literature course at a British university.
DEADLINE: June 30 2011 also known as Salvation or my personal V-day.


The British educational system somewhat differs from the Belgian one and so does the overall university attitude. This blog will tell the tale of a 19-year-old embarking on the lifechanging adventure she so ardently covets.
One cannot wonder at my intentions: I merely wish to share my impressions, experiences, follies and my adoration of the beauty to be encountered along the way with all who care to appreciate it.


A question I receive rather often is this one: 
How does one go about applying to a British university as a Belgian student? 
(for those uninterested in this topic, I grant you leave to scroll down)
There's no uncomplicated way of explaining, I'm afraid, yet I shall make it my daunting task to endeavour it all the same.


Firstly, start thinking about opting for an international education in the month September a year beforehand. This way you are quite safe when it comes to deadlines and even applying to Oxbridge (Oxford-Cambridge) is still an option. Pay a prompt visit to the UCAS website (Universities & Colleges Admissions Service) and make good use of the 
course finder, helping you decide which course befits you.


Secondly, having decided on the adequate course, you need to start checking which universities offer this particular course and have a closer look at the entry requirements.
In Belgium literally anyone who finished secondary school can commence a degree at university. In Britain, however, this is not the obvious case!
The bigger picture: A-levels in Britain can be compared to the Belgian ASO-degree preparing students for university lectures. However, when applying to British universities one often meets with a discouraging, unwilling and in some cases even a disparaging manner to consider a Belgian degree equal to the GCE/A-level.
Therefore it is wise to improve one's chances by undertaking the GCE-exams as well so as to eliminate the difference between yourself and the overall British applicant.
In Belgium, GCE-exams can be taken at the British school of Brussels by contacting the British Council. Their employees will go out of their way to furnish you with the best advise on subjects, examination boards, study materials and choice of tutors for your coursework papers.
My GCE-subjects include Dutch, English Literature and English language. 
Additional requirements can include proof of your English language proficiency. Ideal measure to this end are the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Languageor IELTS Cambridge (International English Language Testing System) tests.


Thirdly, enrolling for the necessary tests and exams brings you yet again one step closer to the ultimate goal. Don't forget to keep an eye out for the UCAS deadlines, but the order of the day now is drafting your UCAS-application form and looking out for a suitable referee.
Unfortunately, it is imperative that you choose 5 universities to which UCAS agrees to send your application. And then... we wait. 
Universities will either offer or deny you a place based on the expected grade-achievement in the A-level. At that point all that is left for you to do: to perform and accomplish!


Yet another, though closely related, question is the following: Why?
Everytime I am asked this I stumble on my own words, feel a glowing warmth spread from my heart and forget all sense in me just because my mind blanks out of sheer admiration and I simply swell with indignation at someone asking one such redundant question.
If this feeling sounds familiar then you know very well of what I speak! 
If not, however, then there is very little use to my trying to explain for these are matters of the heart that cannot and should not be stained with rationality. 
Hereby I gratefully put a stop to the seriousness and proceed to my order of the day.




I hope to post reviews of books, and probably a lot less frequently reviews of films, series and other things that catch my eye and I think are worth mentioning.


In quest of becoming a heroine myself, I shall be quite candid and therefore it is incumbent upon me to add that the odds are against me so I humbly dedicate my each and every sincere word to all the people who inspire me, to all the people who make me want to read, love and admire.


Next up I shall commence the drafting of my first of four papers.
TASK: compare a Shakespearean play to one written between 1300-1850.
To this end I have elected "Troilus and Cressida" versus "Dido, queen of Carthage" by Kit Marlowe.


The famed play by Christopher Marlowe - I can hardly wait!


Yours devotedly,
Lola


(the name of the blog refers to what my first ever published work would be called 
-not that I consider it a possibility, of course- 
as conceded with a dear, successful and talented friend)

1 comment:

  1. I find your blog title terribly inspiring indeed!

    I'm glad to have you back in cyberspace, Lola! The proportion of Americans was getting too high ;)

    And certainly: "If this feeling sounds familiar then you know very well of what I speak!" I know what you speak of! Chase your dreams!

    I will follow your blog up closely (it's hereby added to my bookmarks). And, one time or another, I shall surprise you with another letter, in response to your overly Anglophile writings!

    Signed, Theodore &tc.

    ReplyDelete